'Third Lot, Coupled', steam locomotive, 1857.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Illustration taken from the book 'Locomotives of the GWR', published in 1857. This side elevation shows a Great Western Railway (GWR) locomotive and lists the 8 engines built for the GWR to the same specification. Further text beneath the image provides details of the dimensions of parts of the locomotive, including the cylinders, boiler, fire-grate and wheels. The GWR was built from 1835 to provide a route from Bristol to London, using broad gauge track developed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859). The line opened fully in 1841. The railway was converted to standard gauge track in 1892. Until 1864 many of the GWR's locomotives were designed by Sir Daniel Gooch (1816-1889), who built a total of 340 engines for the railway at Swindon.