The Double Vertical engine introduced by Shand, Mason & Co, in 1889 succeeded the London Brigade Vertical, a single cylinder engine patented by James Shand in 1863. It remained the standard type of horse-drawn fire engine until it was superseded by the petrol motor fire engine. This engine which came from Southgate, Middlesex, is one of about 20 made to the original pattern and is of the most popular 350 gallon size. Nearly all steam fire engines had gone out of use by the early 1920s.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library