Alexander Crum Brown, Scottish organic chemist, late 19th century.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Alexander Crum Brown (1838-1922) was a pioneer of the use of graphic formulae - atoms linked by lines - which gave powerful support to the theory of structure. He became a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh in 1865 while he was extra-academical lecturer in Chemistry at the University of Edinburgh (1863-1869). He was appointed Profesor of Chemistry in 1869, holding the Chair until his retirement in 1908.