Locomotive engine house, Camden Town, London, 1839.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Wash drawing by John Cooke Bourne, from a collection of views of the construction of the London & Birmingham Railway (LBR). It shows the Bury 2-2-2 locomotive no 32 at the entrance to the engine house. This locomotive engine house, used to repair and maintaining locomotives, covered 0.75 of an acre. Tanks in the roof of the building, filled from a deep well by means of a steam pumping engine, were used to supply the locomotives with water on their departure. In 1833, Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) was appointed chief engineer of the LBR, the first railway into London. Beginning at Curzon Street Station, Birmingham, and finishing at Euston Station, London, the 112 mile long line took 20,000 men nearly five years to build, at a cost of £5.5 million.