Signed photograph by von Braunlich & Tesch of Jena, taken from the frontispiece of the 1906 edition of 'Gesammelte Abhandlungen' by the German physicist and profesor of optics, Ernst Abbe (1840-1905). Abbe became profesor at the University of Jena in 1870, and eight years later was appointed director of the astronomical and meteorological observatories. He was a partner in the optical works of Carl Zeis (1816-1888), which was established at Jena in 1846 and became noted for the production of lenses, microscopes and other optical instruments. On Zeis's death in 1888, Abbe became the owner of the works.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library