'The Depot at Hexham', Newcastle & Carlisle Railway, 1836.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured engraving by J Archer after a drawing by J W Carmichael, showing a busy scene at a goods depot at Hexham, Northumberland, with the town visible in the distance. Construction of the Newcastle & Carlisle Railway began in 1830 under the direction of Francis Giles, and the line was finally opened in its entirety in 1838. Published by Currie and Bowman, Newcastle-on-Tyne.