Coloured lithograph drawn and lithographed by John Cooke Bourne (1814-1896) showing a view of Camden Town Engine House during the construction of the London & Birmingham Railway (LBR). The plate also shows an eccentric (a disc eccentrically secured onto an axle) for shifting rail and the chimneys of the stationary engine house. Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) was appointed chief engineer of the LBR in 1833. Beginning at Curzon Street Station, Birmingham, and finishing at Euston Station, London, the 112 mile long line took 20,000 men nearly five years to build, at a cost of five and a half million pounds. The LBR opened on 17 September 1838. Printed by Day & Haghe and published by John Cooke Bourne, London, and Ackermann & Co, London.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library