Watercolour drawing (scale 1:16) by G Pooley. Invented by John Braithwaite, a partner in the engineering firm of Braithwaite and Ericsson, and built in 1829-1830, this fire engine threw out 150 gallons per minute to a height of 90 ft. Although successfully demonstrated at several London fires, it was resisted by conservative fire chiefs. Similar engines were adopted for use in Liverpool and abroad, however. This drawing, signed by Braithwaite, appears to have been made in 1869 to promote the company.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library