The Opening of the Canterbury & Whitstable Railway, 3 May 1830.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured lithograph drawn by T M Baynes (1794-1854), of the view from Church Street with Whitstable in the distance, showing the steam locomotive 'Invicta'. The Invicta was designed for the Canterbury and Whitstable line by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859), the English structural engineer and mechanic. Stephenson also designed the 'Rocket' that became famous after winning the Rainhill Trials on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway in 1829. The Canterbury & Whitstable Railway was known locally as the 'Crab and Winkle' line. The line was taken over by the South Eastern Railway in 1844, and remained in operation until 1952, although only goods trains ran after 1931. Printed by C Hullmandel and published by Henry Ward, 14 Sun Street, Canterbury.