Genoese medicine chest, c 1565.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Made for Vincenzo Giustiniani (d 1570), the last Genoese govenor of the island of Chios in the eastern aegean Sea. The chest still holds 126 bottles and pots for drugs, some of which appear to have the 16th century contents. The painting on the inside of the lid is from a later date. On a box from the middle drawer is painted the device of Chios; a black eagle above a three towered castle. The chest was owned by the Giustiniani family until bought by Henry Wellcome in 1924.