Stereo cine camera, c 1893.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Detail. This camera was patented by William Friese-Greene (1855-1921) in 1893 and is based on a similar design by Frederick Varley, patented in 1890. It was manufactured for Friese-Greene by A Lege & Co of London. The film was moved intermittently by a cam-operated rocking roller which pushed the film down one frame at a time. As the handle was turned, cams on the shaft caused the shutters to open when the film was stationary. This was a relatively slow procedure.