Riley Kineoptoscope projector, 1896.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Designed by Cecil Wray of Riley Brothers, the Bradford firm of magic lantern manufacturers in Yorkshire, this projector mechanism was noted for its steadines of picture. Turning the handle caused a twin double-toothed claw mechanism to engage with the perforations on both sides of the film and advance it by one frame at each downward stroke of the claw. This machine could be used freestanding but required a magic lantern lamphouse to provide the illumination.