Ellerman Lines' steam locomotive No.35029, 1949. This locomotive was designed by O V S Bulleid for the Southern Railway and was built at Eastleigh. It is of the Merchant Navy Clas which was first introduced in 1941 and ran for British Railways, Southern Region. Intended for mixed traffic the locomotive was generally used for mainline expres work, hauling the 'Golden Arrow' and 'Atlantic Coast Expres'. It was withdrawn from service in 1966. The locomotive has been sectioned to show internal workings and details of contruction.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved