First clas dining car No.76, L&NWR, 1900. Interior view of a carriage built by the London and North Western Railway (L&NWR), which was used as a Royal Diner. Cutlery, crockery and glases are shown laid out on the tables of the richly decorated carriage. The L&NWR was formed in 1846 as a merger between the Grand Junction Railway, the London & Birmingham and the Manchester & Birmingham railways. It became known as the 'Premier line', and was the largest joint stock company in the United Kingdom.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved