A device designed by J A Murphy, for intestinal surgery, made of chromium plated steel. The American surgeon Murphy (1857-1916) introduced this type of button, which splits in two, in 1892. The two ends of the gut were closed around each half then the halves were snapped together holding the gut in position. Anastomosis buttons were introduced by American surgeons in the 1890s, and were used to avoid the problems asociated with suturing the gut.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library