Lighthouse lantern optics from Anvil Point Lighthouse, 1881.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Shown in the Optics Gallery of the Science Museum, London, 1990-1999. Anvil Point Lighthouse at Swanage, Dorset, is positioned to give a waypoint for vesels pasing along the English Channel. To the west it gives a clear line from Portland Bill and to the east guides vesels away from the Christchurch Ledge, leading them into the Solent. Originally illuminated by a paraffin vapour burner, the lighthouse was modernised in 1960, converting from oil to mains electricity and was automated on 31 May 1991.