J Bell & Co's chemist shop front, 1798-1909.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Reconstruction in the Wellcome Building, 183 Euston Road, London. The shop was formerly situated in Oxford St, London. It was founded in 1798 by John Bell (1774-1849), the father of Jacob Bell (1810-1859), who founded the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. The old front of the pharmacy was dismantled in 1909 and acquired by Sir Henry Wellcome (1853-1936).