Culpeper's reflecting microscope, c 1728.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This microscope was made by Edmund Culpeper (c 1670-1738) of London. It used a tilting mirror, visible at the bottom, to reflect light onto a specimen mounted above it on glas. Culpeper invented this type of stand for microscopes, consisting of a tripod carrying the main body, standing on another tripod carrying the stage, and the design was adopted by many 18th century makers.