Complete upper denture, 1840-1880.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
A complete upper denture with a swaged alloy plate. The remaining front teeth are of porcelain, held in place by platinum pins, the back teeth are of carved ivory. The first false teeth were made by the Etruscans as long ago as 700 BC, but the difficulties of decay and poor fitting did not begin to be overcome until the late 18th century. Ivory was commonly used for making false teeth, although from the late 18th century porcelain was increasingly favoured as it did not decay.