Mariner's compas, c 1775.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Compas made by Joseph Roux of Marseilles. This type of compas was used in the Mediteranean during the 18th century. The bowl is made of wood and remnants of the gimbal rods can be seen. The 'lubber line' is painted on the inside of the bowl and the magnet is on the underside of the card. The letters on the points are the initial letters of the Italian names of the winds: Greco (NE), Sirocco (SE), Ostro (S), Libeccio (SW), Penete (W) and Maestro (NW).