10 contraceptive diaphragms, English, 1940-1950.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
A set of ten 'Clinocap' brand diaphragms, made of rubber and steel, and modified by Dr Marie Stopes. Stopes (1880-1958), a pioneer advocate of birth control, suffragette and palaeontologist, was born in Edinburgh and became the first female science lecturer at Manchester University in 1904. In 1921, she founded the first birth control clinic in London, which advocated the use of barrier methods of contraception such as the diaphragm and the smaller cervical cap. She went on to write over 70 books, including: 'Contraception: its Theory, History and Practice' (1923), and 'Sex and Religion' (1929).