Two pharmacy jars, 1723-1763.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
One jar is marked with the monogramme of Johannes Pennis, owner of the porcelain dish factory, Delft. Its contents were Electuarium Hierae Picrae, meaning sacred bitter electuary. An electuary was a conserve or paste, usually made with honey. The other jar's label indicates that it contained Dr Prat's unguent (an ointment).