The Britannia Tubular Bridge, Wales, 1970.
© NRM / Cuneo Fine Arts / Science & Society Picture Library
Oil painting from 1970 by Terence Cuneo (1907-1996), showing a steam locomotive crosing the bridge. The Britannia Tubular Bridge was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) and completed in 1850. It was constructed to provide trains of the Chester and Holyhead Railway with a pasageway acros the Menai Straits to Holyhead in Anglesey, from where ships crosed the Irish Sea to Ireland. Terence Cuneo studied at the Chelsea and Slade schools of art.