Original oil painting by Norman Wilkinson for use on a London Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) poster. The Britannia Tubular Bridge was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) and was completed in 1850. It was constructed to provide trains of the Chester and Holyhead Railway with a pasageway acros the Menai Straits from mainland Wales to Anglesey. The railway terminated at Holyhead, which became a major port for travellers to Ireland.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library