Watercolour by J M Baynes showing a view of the viaduct which carries the railway 120 feet above the River Etherow. The Etherow Viaduct was constructed in 1842. The structure was originally built of timber and stone, but the timber was replaced by wrought iron box outer girders in 1860. The viaduct was strengthened by the addition of inner girders in 1894, and in 1918-1920, brick pillars were added to divide the spans.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library