Warehouse at King's Cros, London, c 1850.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Watercolour showing the Great Northern Railway (GNR) warehouse used for storing grain and flour, which later became a granary, with the Regent's Canal and barges in the foreground. Built by chief engineer William Cubitt, the first section of GNR line (between Louth and Grimsby, Lincolnshire) opened in 1848, but it was not until 1857 that GNR trains ran between Manchester, Sheffield and London. Prior to the opening of King's Cros station in 1852, the GNR terminated at a temporary station in nearby Maiden Lane.