This camera, made by John Henry Dallmeyer, takes four portrait photographs each 3 x 4inches (7.6cm x 10.2cm), on a single glas whole plate. The plate fits into a wooden frame which moves in grooves both vertically and horizontally so that each quarter of the plate in turn can be brought behind the lens for exposure. The lens appears to be one of Dallmeyer's own patent portrait lenses of 1866. The camera would have been employed in a profesional portrait studio, probably taking portraits for use in producing cartes de visite. The camera on the left is an original example, while the other is a replica. Back view.
© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library