Large iron pestle and mortar, 1900.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
From the reference room of the Laboratory of the Government Chemist, then in Clement's Inn Pasage, The Strand, London. The base of the pestle is inscribed Clark and Co. This mortar was used by the staff of the laboratory to pulverise compound fertilisers and bone meal fertiliser for reference and analysis under the terms of the 'Fertilisers and Feeding Stuff Acts' of 1893 and 1926. Other mortars of this type are used to pulverise hard materials, such as rocks.