'Surrey Institution', Blackfriars, London, 1808.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Aquatint by Joseph Constantine Stadler after Thomas Rowlandson (1756-1827) and Augustus Pugin, from 'The London Microcosm', showing a scientific lecture taking place before a mixed audience. Although only in existence from 1808 to 1823, the 'Surry' as it was called, provided an important forum for the disemination of scientific, technological and other developments during the early Industrial Revolution. Published in 1809 at R Ackermann's Repository of Arts, 101 The Strand, London.