PS 'William Fawcett', 1829.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Whole model (scale 1:72?). The 'William Fawcett' was built in Liverpool for use as a ferry on the Mersey. She was later placed on the Belfast, Dublin and London service of the Dublin and London Steam Packet Co, from whom she was purchased in 1837 by the Peninsular Steam Navigation Co (later P&O) in order to start their contract mail service to the Peninsular ports. This service was the first weekly sailing between Falmouth in England and Gibraltar, Spain and Portugal and in 1840 was extended to Alexandria and later India, China, Japan and Australia.