SY 'Giralda', 1894.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Model (scale 1:48). This twin-screw yacht was built of steel in 1894 by the Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Co Ltd at Govan for Colonel H L B McCalmont. The 'Giralda' was fully fitted out as a pleasure cruises, with electric lighting throughout. She was rigged as a three-masted schooner, and featured an awning-deck to provide protection for the pasenger apartments. In 1898, the 'Giralda' was purchased by the Spanish Government, and was used as an auxiliary cruiser during the Spanish-American War. She served as Royal Yacht to the King of Spain from 1907 onwards, and was broken up in 1921.