SY 'Lady Torfrida', 1888.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Model (scale 1:48). This screw yacht was built of steel at Govan by the Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Co Ltd, for the chairman of the company, Sir William Pearce. She had two decks, and was completely fitted out as a pleasure yacht, with electric lighting throughout. The yacht later became the floating home of a reclusive American millionaire, M Bayard Brown, and in 1927 was purchased by the Maharajah of Nawanagar, who renamed her 'Star of India', and had the vesel extensively modernised.