PS 'Charlotte Dundas', c 1801.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Model (scale c 1:24) representing this famous early steamboat engined by William Symington, the British pioneer of marine steam propulsion. She was used on the Forth and Clyde canal for experiments by Lord Dundas of Kerse on the use of steam tugs instead of horses for towing vesels. The 'Charlotte Dundas' was built of wood by Alexander Hart at Grangemouth Dockyard, with an engine of 10 nominal hp. In March 1802, two loaded vesels, each of 70 tons burden were towed for a distance of 19.2 miles in 6 hours into a strong wind by the 'Charlotte Dundas', but the canal owners decided against using steam tugs due to the likely damage to the banks that would arise from the wash from the paddles.