Engraving by F J Havell after a drawing by T H Shepherd, published by Jones and Company in 1827. The print shows canal boats pasing waterfront buildings. The Regent's Canal, connecting the Paddington Canal and the Thames at Limehouse, was opened in 1820. The canal cost £772,000 to construct, twice the amount originally estimated. In 1929 the Regent's Canal Company purchased the Grand Junction and Warwick Canals, merging the three waterways to create the Grand Union Canal.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library