Watercolour by G F Yates. An inscription reads: 'To Mr J C Hurter, this view of the Aqueduct at Barton, 4 miles from Manchester, is dedicated by his friend G F Yates'. This aqueduct, built by James Brindley in 1765, was moved when it was replaced in 1896, and can still be seem in Barton, which is a part of Eccles, Great Manchester. A horsedrawn barge moves acros the aqueduct, a river barge beneath.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library