The 'Christoforo Colombo', 1875.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Model of the engines (scale 1:12). She was a single-screw composite corvette, built and completed at Venice in 1876 for the Italian Government. The inverted vertical engines, built by John Penn and Sons at Greenwich, London, had three cylinders, each 62 ins in diameter, by 3.3 ft stroke, and could be arranged to be worked either on the simple expansion or compound system as desired. The engine was designed to indicate 2000 hp when working compound and 4000 hp when working simply.