12 inch portable receiver made by the General Electric Company (GEC). GEC began as an electrical wholesaler in London during the 1880s, under the name of G Binswanger and Company. In 1886 Gustav Binswanger was joined by another German immigrant, Hugo Hirst and the company changed its name to The General Electric Apparatus Company. In 1888 the firm bought its first factory in Manchester and by 1900, the General Electric Co Ltd had been formed. The company manufactured televisions between 1947 and 1986.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library