In the late 1940s and early 1950s, a number of large regional transmitters were built to extend the BBC's television service acros the UK. As each region used a different frequency, manufacturers produced a different version of each set for each region. The Bush TV22, a 405-line television with an innovatory nine inch screen, was the first TV receiver which could be re-tuned to a different BBC transmitter should the owner move. Manufactured from 1950-1952, it was also one of the first televisions to use an aluminised cathode ray tube, ensuring that most of the light from the picture came out into the room, thus giving a brighter image. It derives its name from the location of the original Bush Radio factory in Shepherd's Bush, London.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library