Model (scale 1:48). From 1881 onwards, steel replaced iron in the construction of hulls of British warships. The 'Magicienne', a cruiser, was provided with a steel deck between 1.5 ins and 2 ins thick. She was 265 ft long and was one of the last warships to be fitted with horizontal engines. Her armament included six 6-inch breech loading guns and four torpedo tubes. With her sister ships, the 'Marathon' and the 'Melpomene', her duties included police work and 'showing the flag' on the coasts of Africa and America.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library