Lithograph by and after W Richardson of the original tubular steel bridge over the River Wye at Chepstow. It was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859) for the South Wales Railway, and opened in 1852. Brunel was an English inventor and civil engineer who designed many bridges and viaducts, including the Royal Albert Bridge at Saltash and the Clifton Suspension Bridge at Bristol. The bridge was dismantled and rebuilt by Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Ltd in the early 1960s.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved