'The Hearts of Oak Benefit Society', certificate, c 1869.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Chromolithograph certificate printed by McCorquodale & Co Ltd, Cardington Street, completed in 1894 with handwritten inscriptions to mark the membership of Thomas Scriven. A Trade Union emblem is included, with vignette scenes centred around the 131-gun warship HMS 'Hearts of Oak'. Also shown are sailors, and figures representing Britannia, Neptune, Agriculture, Commerce and Father Thames. Founded in 1842, the Hearts of Oak Society was the first Friendly Society to embrace purely financial, rather than social or craft, heraldic functions.