Billingsgate Market, London, 1808.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured aquatint by J Bluck after Rowlandson and Pugin showing plate 9 of the 'Repository of Arts' published by Ackermann, 1st March 1808. The print shows two ships in dock, with people on the quay buying and selling fish, carrying baskets on their heads, arguing, falling over, herding laden donkeys and driving carriages. In the foreground a dog eats some fallen fish and a man administers tea to a woman who has collapsed on the ground. The fish market situated around Billingsgate Wharf in the City of London was officially established by an Act of Parliament in 1698. In 1982, Billingsgate Fish Market moved to a new site in London's Docklands, but the market still retained its traditional name.