Rectangular steel plate mounted on wood. This identification plate was fixed to a tender, or truck for carrying fuel or water, which was attached to the rear of a London & North Western Railway (LNWR) steam locomotive. The LNWR was formed in 1846, and served some of Britain's largest cities, including London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow and Edinburgh. In 1923, with the formation of the four new railway companies, the LNWR became part of the London, Midland & Scottish railway company.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved