'Gas Works near the Regent's Canal', London, 1828.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving by A McClatchie after a drawing by T H Shepherd, published by Jones and Company, showing a barge on the Regent's Canal pasing in front of a gasworks. The Regent's Canal, connecting the Paddington Canal and the Thames at Limehouse, was opened in 1820. The canal cost £772,000 to construct, twice the amount originally estimated. In 1929 the Regent's Canal Company purchased the Grand Junction and Warwick Canals, merging the three waterways to create the Grand Union Canal.