Howe lock-stitch sewing machine, 1883.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This lock-stitch machine is the last type to be made by the Howe Machine Company prior to its closure in 1887-1888. Elias Howe (1819-1867) licensed the production of his sewing machines from the 1850s, but did not produce them himself until 1865. His brother Amasa made machines under the name of the Howe Sewing Machine Company, which traded from 1854 to 1873 when it was acquired by the Howe Machine Company. Elias Howe's portait bust appears on the medallion on the front of this machine. This machine has a shuttle working in a curved horizontal race. The treadle stand is not shown.