This hybrid spinning machine combined Arkwright's method of drawing out the roving (twisted cotton fibres) by rollers and Hargreaves's reciprocating carriage. It was invented by Samuel Crompton (1753-1827) of Bolton, Lancashire, between 1772 and 1779 for the purpose of spinning the fine yarn suitable for weft in weaving. The original machine, of which this is a replica, had about 144 spindles, but this copy has at some time been cut down to a convenient size for exhibition purposes. The original is preserved at Bolton Museum & Art Gallery.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library