Portion of a ring spinning frame of 44 spindles (originally 400) manufactured in 1926 by Dobson & Barlow Ltd, one side of which has been converted in 1963 to the Casablancas high draft system; this enables the yarn to be spun from slubbing directly. Ring spinning was developed in the USA from around 1830. To twist to the yarn, it employs a small eyelet running around a stationary ring, which in turn encircles the rotating spindle. Ring spinning machines were capable of continuous operation (in contrast to mule spinning) and were very compact - three can fit in the same floor space as one mule. Being automatic, they also needed les skilled supervision.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library