This 6-cylinder car with an engine capacity of 4.68 litres was designed by Frederick W Lanchester (1868-1946) who was one of the most important of the early English motor car engineers. Although his designs were based upon sound engineering principles, they were individual conceptions which owed little to the Continental practice of the time. Commercial considerations ensured that by 1920, the design of Lanchester cars had become more orthodox. This example represents the highest development of the Lanchester car during the period in which it retained its original distinctive features.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library