BSA motorcycle and sidecar, 1922.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This motorcycle, powered by a large V-twin-cylinder engine, and its sidecar were made by BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) Cycles Ltd. Designed for reliability and comfort rather than speed, these machines tended to be serviced and maintained by their owners. Motorcycle and sidecar combinations of this kind were used in very large numbers throughout the 1920s, esentially by the working man and his family for whom the purchase and running of even a small motor car was often prohibitive.