This is a petrol motor bicycle of the type patented in 1894 by Alois Wolfmuller and Hans Geisenhof, and made by Hildebrand and Wolfmuller of Munich. It was the first practical motorcycle to be put on to the market, and many were built in Germany and France up to 1896. The frame of the bicycle is formed of four horizontal tubes, between which the four-stroke two-cylinder engine is mounted. The down tubes of the frame serve as a lubricating oil reserve. The machine weighs 115 lb and has a maximum speed of 24 mph.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library